Hirslanden Group offers a wide range of medical services, covering most of the areas of research and treatments. Hirslanden Clinic in Zurich offers inpatient and outpatient treatments.
Main medical fields
- Treatment of the entire spectrum of degenerative diseases of the spine (cervical herniation and lumbar discs, spinal stenosis, displacement of the vertebrae)
- Correction of spinal curve and its stabilization (scoliosis, kyphosis, malformations)
- Decompression and reconstruction due to tumors and infections of the spine
- Stabilization of fractures and surgery to straighten spine trauma
- Vertebral osteoporotic fractures with plastic spine
- Application of new technologies to the spine (eg, the use of an artificial substitute for the intervertebral disc), as well as minimally invasive and microsurgical treatment of the spine
TREATMENT OF UPPER LIMB
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Stabilizing operations of the shoulder joint
- Reconstruction of the rotator cuff
- Replacement of joints with painful osteoarthritis
- Arthroscopic and open surgery of the elbow
- Treatment of the syndrome pinched nerve
- Surgery for arthritis and rheumatic diseases
- Surgery for contractures
- Primary and secondary surgery for injuries of tendons of flexor and extensor muscles, tendon transfer
- Corrective osteotomy of the hands and forearms, treatment of pseudarthrosis
- Tumor surgery, microsurgery
TREATMENT OF THE LOWER LIMB
- Arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery of the hip joint, sports injuries
- Osteotomy of the pelvis and hip joint
- Hip with painful osteoarthritis replacement
- Surgery to replace hip joint prostheses
- Arthroscopy knee surgery to replace cartilage
- Axial correction
- Knee replacement i
In orthopedics surgery, the latest navigation system is used. It helps surgeons in the entire process; from planning to operation in an accurate three-dimensional model, such as the implantation of total hip and knee replacements . This navigation system provides surgeons a new opportunity to improve quality standards by increasing accuracy of implantation and thus improve the results of surgery.
- Correction of the metatarsals, the talus and the calcaneus
- Stabilizing operations of the upper and lower ankle joints
- Prosthetic ankle with severe forms of osteoarthritis
- Treatment of Achilles tendon rupture
For successful treatment of tumor, recognition, display, and pinpointing the primary tumor is the most important . The basis for a successful diagnosis is the most modern equipment, such as magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography and radiation medicine, as well as invasive digital imaging techniques.
These techniques are most frequently used for diseases in the brain and spinal cord, as well as internal organs (e.g., prostate, lung, intestine).
On the basis of the diagnosis, a specialized team of doctors prescribes the appropriate treatment for patients. There are three types of therapy which, depending on the type and location of the tumor is used either in combination with each other or separately.
In medical oncology, chemotherapy and hormone or immunotherapy are used. To reduce side effects, regular medical supervision during and immediately after therapy is absolutely necessary.
During the recent years, the field of oncology radiation has seen unprecedented progress. In its Institute of Oncology, Hirslanden offers the most modern equipment.
Among other things it is equipped with the latest technologic linear accelerator designed for radiotherapy. It helps to maintain accurate alignment of the radiation field to the tumor volume. A particularly important result of the application of this procedure is to prevent exposure of adjacent healthy tissue.
One of the first European Institute of Oncology started using the system «on board imaging» (OBI). This system can accurately control the position of the patient before and during the irradiation. As a result, the tumor can be irradiated with higher doses without affecting nearby healthy tissue. In this case, the probability of local cure increases and side effects occur less often.
Since March 2009, the clinic offers the CyberKnife technology. This device allows a single irradiation of certain tumors with millimeter precision. The CyberKnife System is the world’s only non-invasive system of radiosurgery to treat tumors anywhere in the body. The system includes a technology for determining the location of the tumor imaging: a robotic arm with a computer-controlled system.
Cardiac surgery, vascular surgery and thoracic surgery
- Surgery for coronary heart open system
- Reconstruction of heart valves, heart valve replacement operations on multiple valves
- Surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation
- Treatment of congenital heart disease in adults
- Treatment of diseases close to the heart: pulmonary vessels, pericardium, pericardial effusion
- Treatment of complications of myocardial infarction: the separation valve, aneurysm
- Combined operations on valves, coronary and other vessels
- Heart surgery without blood transfusion
- Implantation of a pacemaker
- Full range of adult cardiac surgery
- Operations of the lungs and chest, as well as minimally invasive thoracic surgery
- Treatment of diseases of the entire aorta including the aortic arch, ventral aorta, pelvic arteries
- Carotid artery surgery
- Vein surgery, treatment of varicose veins
- Access to dialysis for patients who require hemodialysis
Diagnosis and therapy:
- Balloon angioplasty and stent implantation in narrowed or blocked coronary blood vessels, carotid and renal arteries, vessels of hands, pelvis and legs
- Chemical ablation of the septum
- Catheter treatment of cardiac arrhythmias (radiofrequency ablation), treatment fibrilloflutter
- Implantation of pacemakers
- Resynchronization therapy of the heart with special pacemakers for heart weakness
- Implantation of automatic cardioverter / defibrillator in the case of life-threatening arrhythmias
- Electropulse atrial fibrillation
The spectrum of cardiac services is constantly growing due to new therapeutic modalities, among which are the latest stenting technology with layering medications in combination with antithrombotic medication. Hirslanden is equipped with the latest technology laboratory for the study of the heart catheter.
Patients of both sexes suffering from diseases of the urogenital tract, are taken care of in the Department of Urology. Specialists of the department daily confront disturbances caused by malignant tumors, male and female incontinence, deposits of stones, infertility and impotence, and this is only part of what they encounter. For the diagnosis of urological disorders, a number of special techniques such as urine analysis, ultrasound, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), are used. The primary objective is to maintain, as far as possibl,e the quality of life through the use of minimally invasive procedures. If surgery still becomes necessary, it is possible to conduct minimum invasive operations with the use of surgical techniques such as the Da Vinci robotic technology or laser. As a result, there is a decrease of pain and it shortens the rehabilitation phase.