Oral & dental preventive checkup
The mouth is often perceived as a separate part of the human body. However, growing scientific evidence shows oral health is directly linked to overall health in many ways. Your mouth is a pathway to your body!
- 90% of systemic diseases have oral manifestations. Oral symptoms are often among the first to appear. Detecting early signs can lead to the discovery of diseases ignored by the patient.
- There are more than 1,000 new cases of oral cancer in Switzerland each year. Unfortunately most are diagnosed late (stage 3 or 4), with a survival rate of only 40%. Early diagnosis increases the survival rate to 80-90%.
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) can be diagnosed by your dental surgeon. OSA is an important risk factor for cardio-vascular disease. 50% of patients with arterial hypertension also have AOS. Up to 70% of patients admitted to hospital with coronary artery disease were found to have sleep apnea.(1)
BACTERIAL INFECTION AND INFLAMMATION FROM PERIODONTAL DISEASE IS ASSOCIATED WITH OTHER DISEASES. PERIODONTAL DISEASE CAN PROVOKE OR WORSEN CERTAIN HEALTH PROBLEMS.
- By-products of bacteria which are typically found associated with periodontal disease have been found in the brains of patients diagnosed with Alzheimer disease. No bacterial by-product was found in non-diseased brains.
- Periodontal disease can worsen pulmonary infections, especially in the elderly or persons who may already suffer pulmonary problems.
- Periodontal disease increases the risk of cardiovascular disease by 20%.
- There is a 2-fold increased risk of Type 2 diabetes for patients with severe periodontal disease, and a 50% increased risk of Type 2 diabetes for moderate periodontal disease.
- There is an 8-fold increased risk of premature birth for expectant mothers with periodontal disease.
- Oral and oropharyngeal cancers
Up to 76% of the cancer subjects have PD.
For every millimetre of alveolar bone loss there is a 5.2-fold increase in the risk of tongue cancer.
- Patient with PD are twice as likely to have Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Men with gum disease are 63% more likely to develop pancreatic cancer.
- Chronic periodontal disease can depress the number of red cells, leading to anemia.
- Periodontal disease can increase the risk of infertility in male patients. In women periodontal disease leads to a 40% increase in the time needed to get pregnant.
- Bacteria, bacterial endotoxins and proinflammatory molecules travel from the gums into the blood, linking periodontitis to other systemic diseases.
- Periodontal disease often starts at 20 years, then progresses with age.
- 50% of those between 35 to 50 are considered to be affected to some degree with periodontal disease. After 60 this number reaches 80%!
- Besides the link to systemic disease, periodontitis is the major cause of tooth loss.
A NEW APPROACH TO YOUR HEALTH
Your safety is our priority
The risk of cross-contamination while receiving dental care is among the highest among all medical practices. Our standards of hygiene and sterilization are strict and often far beyond what is normally required.
For example, we have changed our instrumentation system to single use to prevent the possibility of cross-contamination.
An oral check-up—or risk-factor analysis—will reveal existing, starting and potential conditions or problems at different levels, e.g., teeth, gums and oral mucosa.
Multi-step diagnosis includes:
- Preparing a detailed medical history
- Oral check-up reinforced by the use of 3 different cameras and oral cancer visualization devices
- Radiographic examination
- Blood analysis
- Respiratory holter (depending on medical history and oral check-up)
Information gathered from this risk-factor analysis gives us a global understanding of your current health, including any possible interactions between oral health and general body health.
Periodontal (gum) treatment
Complete bacterial decontamination. This individual treatment protocol allows clean gums and the tongue from all harmful bacteria, in one sitting, with no pain (anesthesia is not required) and without antibiotics. Our treatments uniquely combine the use of vertical deflection ultrasound with hydroxyapatite fluid, diode laser, ozone generator, and plasm-rich growth factor sub-gingival irrigations.
Early and minimal invasive treatments of dental decay, including full ultra-thin zirconium teeth coverings.
Dental trays are produced in thin transparent materials, are easy to wear, and are the treatment of choice for dental wear
or sleep apnea disorders.
Because preventive medicine requires a proactive mindset, individual medical and dental coaching always completes the approach. It provides patients with the knowledge that will keep them in good health and able to transmit this knowledge to children and family.