Vitiligo is a disease of the skin, with the main following feature: disappearance of melanin in certain areas of the skin and as a result – the formation of white, depigmented patches on the skin. This is presumably a result of exposure of the skin to certain drugs and chemicals, neuroendocrine, neuro-trophic factors, melanogenesis, autoimmune and inflammatory processes.It seems also that vitiligo can be inherited. Unfortunately the nature of the disease is not yet fully understood.
It is known that vitiligo is not contagious and is not dangerous to others.
Further provoking factors are: excessive sunbathing, chemical or physical irritation of the skin, stress.
The disease may appear with white spots on the trunk extremities, on the face and other places, but most commonly on the hands, elbows, knees – where the skin is the most injured. Depigmented areas have increased sensitivity to the sun and artificial ultraviolet rays. Vitiligo disease occurs at any age, but more often when the patient is young.
All therapeutic measures are aimed at preventing the appearance of new spots and reducing the cosmetic defect. For the treatment of vitiligo, antioxidants, immunomodulators may be prescribed. Strictly dosed UV exposure of the skin, PUVA therapy, laser treatment may be performed.
It is sitll believed that a reliable method for the treatment of vitiligo has not yet been found.
However, we would like to challenge this view. The doctor, with whom we have been working for several years, has consistently showed excellent results in the treatment of vitiligo.
His treatment includes a combination of different techniques personnally selected for each patient:
- Excimer laser of the latest generation 308mm
- Bandages with special khellin solution (khellin is a precursor to the synthesis of melanin in the skin). This special solution with liposomes allows the khellin to transfer very quickly into the upper lay of the skin to the basal membrane zone where the melanocytes (specialized skin cells that produce the melanin pigment) are living. This solution was set in a German clinic and our doctor uses it to treat vitiligo in conjunction with laser.
- Detox program to cleanse the whole body (if appropriate and if the patient wishes). Detox can be performed in addition to the other methods mentioned above.
- Micro-grafts, from areas of the body where skin pigmentation is not harmed, on the damaged areas using Erbium-yag laser. After the healing of skin on the transplanted sites, UVF excimer laser is used in combination with bandages with a phenylalanine-Kellin solution.
The treatment method is chosen by the doctor, depending on the severity of the disease.
- Treatment protocol with the excimer laser 308mm in combination with pigmentation inducing bandages with a khellin solution, 12-14 days. During this time, it is also possible to conduct cleansing of the body.
- Treatment with micro-skin transplant, followd by excimer laser 308mm in combination with pigmentation inducing bandages with a khellin solution 18 days.